Josho Gakuen

History : Message from Josho Gakuen

Pioneers in developing technical engineers

Background of Foundation

Founder and Proprietor Kyozaburo Honjo , First President and Chairman of the Board of Trustees Yasushi Kataoka

Josho Gakuen Educational Foundation (hereinafter referred to as "Josho Gakuen" ) was founded on September 7, 1922 as Kansai Engineering Technical School by Kyozaburo Honjo, the founder and proprietor, after receiving approval for the establishment of the school from Osaka Governor Tokikazu Ikematsu and in collaboration with the following: Yasushi Kataoka, the first president and doctor of Engineering, Minoru Ikeda, chief of the Construction Department, Osaka Prefecture; Shigeharu Shima, chief of the Civil Engineering Department, Osaka Prefecture; Takujiro Nakamura, chief of the Building and Repairs Department, Osaka Prefecture; Rintaro Naoki, chief of the Urban Planning Division, Osaka City; Junichi Sawai, chief of the Waterworks Division, Osaka City; Hikaru Shimizu, chief engineer of the Railroad Division, Osaka City; Taisuke Okumura, director of the Civil Engineering Division, Osaka Prefecture; Kenichi Tagami, engineer of Osaka Prefecture; Kenkichi Sakaida, civil engineering director, Japan Electric Power System; Sutejiro Ono, executive managing director, Taisho Shintaku Co., Ltd; Michio Ohashi, druggist; and Chuzaburo Okazaki, auditor, Kansai Sekizai Co., ltd.

At that time, public awareness of the need for industrial education was low, and particularly in Osaka, where a strong focus was placed on commerce, there were few institutions that offered industrial education. In such a social context, the pioneer spirit of people involved is worth noting, as they acutely sensed the approach of the times where engineering technologists were desperately needed and boldly entered the field of industrial education, which had been considered the most difficult field for a private school to manage. After having overcome many hardships, Josho Gakuen grew into a group comprising Osaka Institute of Technology and its graduate school, Setsunan University and its graduate school, Hiroshima International University and its graduate school, Josho Gakuen Junior and Senior High School, Josho Keiko Gakuen Junior and Senior High School. Approximately 268,000 graduates of the Group schools, now play an important role in various fields of society.

History

Establishment of Osaka Institute of Technology

1949
Setsunan University of Technology was established by upgrading Setsunan Engineering Technical School to a university under the new school system.
The departments of Civil Engineering, Architecture, and Electrical Engineering were launched in the first and second sections of the Faculty of Engineering.
The corporate name was changed to Osaka Institute of Technology.
Setsunan University of Technology changed its name to Osaka Institute of Technology.
The ordinary program was added to Setsunan High School.
1950
The Department of Mechanical Engineering was added to the first and second sections of the Faculty of Engineering.
Osaka Institute of Technology Junior College established. Departments of Civil Engineering, Architecture, and Electricity were launched in the day program (the day program was discontinued in March 1965).
Setsunan Gakuen High School changed its name to Osaka Institute of Technology High School.
Setsunan Engineering Technical School changed its name to Osaka Institute of Technology Technical School (closed down in 1979).
1951
The corporation was reorganized into the educational corporation Osaka Institute of Technology.
1954
The Department of Mechanical Science was added to the Osaka Institute of Technology Junior College.
1958
The Department of Applied Chemistry was added to the first section of the Faculty of Engineering, Osaka Institute of Technology.
1959
The Department of Electronic Engineering was added to the first section of the Faculty of Engineering.
1960
The Department of Applied Chemistry was added to the second section of the Faculty of Engineering.
1962
The Department of Engineering Management was added to the first and second sections of the Faculty of Engineering. The Department of Electronic Engineering was added to the second section of the Faculty of Engineering. (The Department of Engineering Management changed its name to Department of Management Engineering in 1976.)
Osaka Advanced Technical School established (closed in 1979).
1963
The Department of Automobiles was added to the Osaka Institute of Technology High School.
1964
At the Osaka Institute of Technology Junior College, the night program was launched in the departments of Architecture, Civil Engineering, Electricity, and Mechanical Science.
1965
The Osaka Institute of Technology Graduate School was established. Master's courses were launched in the Graduate School of Engineering (majors in Civil Engineering, Architecture, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Applied Chemistry). (The Department of Electrical Engineering changed its name to Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering in 1997.)
1967
In the Graduate School of Engineering, a master's course was added to the major in Engineering Management and a doctoral course to majors in Civil Engineering, Architecture, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering (name changed: from Engineering Management to Management Engineering in 1976 and from Electrical Engineering to Electrical and Electronic Engineering in 1997).
1971
The department names of the Osaka Institute of Technology Junior College were changed to the departments of Architecture, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering.
1972
Osaka Institute of Technology High School became coeducational.
Return to Top Maincontents

Copyright © Josho Gakuen Educational Foundation,2014.All Rights Reserved.